History of Rugeley, Staffordshire

Iron and glass workings have been found dating back to medieval times. Rugeley name is thought to be derived from 'Ridge lee', or 'the hill over the field,. The earls of Mercia and the Plantagenet kings owned and hunted the ancient forest which was on the the 7 divisions of Hays. Norman controlled in 1071 where the earl took park in rebellion against King William. Charcoal was produced using the forest to fuel the iron works and then the coal to fuel the power station.

There are some very old pubs such as the Red Lion Inn and the Talbot Inn both in Brereton.